Wednesday, February 8, 2012

New Health Kick

On March 31st, I am going to be participating in the Monument 10k in Richmond. In order to even possibly think about the idea of jogging about 4k of this race, I am going to need a little health kick (the obvious being exercise and food). I usually am a pretty healthy person, so it's really the running training that is going to come into play here.

I ran for the first time yesterday in months (and when I say run I mean walk/jog interval) and it felt so great! Last spring to run a 5k I used the couch 2 5k training plan and it worked really well. 9 weeks to jogging a full 5k. I have less time this season and no room for shin splint excuses so I am going to kick start my training starting in the second week, since I am not totally out of shape. I even splurged and bought the app on my iPhone for $0.99.

As far as the eating goes, I am going to have to be careful as we do buffet style here at the Zeta house. No seconds and lots of salad for me. This season it is going to be all about making the right choices. These are my favorite recipes and foods I am hoping I'll be able to make and eat while getting into shape!

There are a ton of different kinds (my favorite being Chocolate Peppermint Stick and Vanilla Almond) and they are stacked with protein and other great ingredients for women. Whether you are on the go or just need a good mid afternoon snack to fill you up - these are great! (I really want to try the new Peanut Honey Pretzel!)

The best greek yogurt!! Again lots of protein and it fills me up from about 8:30am to 1pm. Plus the fruit and flavors aren't already mixed in so when you do its fresh and yummy!Just make sure you get the 0%.  If you don't feel like buying a bunch of little yogurts, you can easily get one of those large containers of plain greek yogurt and some frozen berries. Defrost the frozen berries and put in the yogurt and you are good to go!

I would love to make this if I had a real kitchen here...but it looks delicious! (Maybe over a break or when I go home..)

Fresh peppers are one of my new things that I love to snack on. Especially the yellow and orange ones!
Add some hummus and it's a great mid-afternoon snack.

I haven't had this but found out about it through Hungry Girl. A great substitute for that pint of Half Baked Ben and Jerry's that you know won't last longer than 2 days and it isn't like those low-fat low-sugar ice cream sandwiches that are filled with chemicals!

Well here's to another new year's resolution that hopefully won't end after March 31!

No comments:

Post a Comment